In this way the Buddha laid down this training rule for the monks.
Second substory Soon afterwards Mahāpajāpati Gotamī became sick. The senior monks went to see her and said, “We hope you’re bearing up, Gotamī, we hope you’re getting better?” “I’m not bearing up, venerables, and I’m not getting better. Please give me a teaching.” “It’s not allowable for us to go a nunnery and teach the nuns.” And being afraid of wrongdoing, they did not teach her. Soon afterwards, after robing up in the morning, the Buddha took his bowl and robe and went to Mahāpajāpati Gotamī where he sat down on the prepared seat. He said to her, “I hope you’re bearing up, Gotamī, I hope you’re getting better?” “Previously, sir, the senior monks would come and teach me, and because of that I would be comfortable. But now that this has been prohibited by the Buddha, they don’t teach because they’re afraid of wrongdoing. Because of that I’m not comfortable.” After instructing, inspiring, and gladdening her with a teaching, the Buddha got up from his seat and left. Soon afterwards the Buddha gave a teaching and addressed the monks: “Monks, I allow you to go a nunnery and instruct a sick nun. And so, monks, this training rule should be recited like this:
Final ruling