If he is corrected by one who is not fully ordained about something that has or has not been laid down: “This isn’t conducive to self-effacement,” “This isn’t conducive to ascetic practices,” “This isn’t conducive to being inspiring,” “This isn’t conducive to a reduction in things,” “This isn’t conducive to being energetic,” and he says, “I won’t practice this training rule until I’ve questioned a monk who’s competent,” “… until I’ve questioned a monk who’s an expert on the Monastic Law,” “… until I’ve questioned a monk who’s wise,” “… until I’ve questioned a monk who’s intelligent,” “… until I’ve questioned a monk who’s learned,” “… until I’ve questioned a monk who’s an expounder of the Teaching,” he commits an offense of wrong conduct. If the one who corrects him is not fully ordained, but he perceives them as such, he commits an offense of wrong conduct. If the one who corrects him is not fully ordained, but he is unsure of it, he commits an offense of wrong conduct. If the one who corrects him is not fully ordained, and he does not perceive them as such, he commits an offense of wrong conduct.
More Definitions Who is training:
who wants to train. Should understand: should find out. Should question: should ask, “Venerable, how is this? What’s the meaning of this?” Should enquire: should reflect, should weigh up. This is the proper procedure: this is the right method.
Non-offenses There is no offense: if he says, “I’ll find out and I’ll train;” if he is insane; if he is the first offender. The training rule on not accepting legitimate correction, the first, is finished.
Theravāda Collection on Monastic Law The Great Analysis The chapter on offenses entailing confession The subchapter on legitimate correction Disparaging the training rules
Origin story