The Great Analysis, Part 2
English Translation · Volume 2 · Page 488
Sign in to bookmark

At one time when the Buddha was staying at Sāvatthī in Anāthapiṇḍika’s Monastery, a monk was bathing in the river Aciravatī, when a brahmin, too, came there to bathe. He deposited a bag with five hundred coins on the ground, bathed, forgot about the bag, and left. The monk thought, “This is the bag belonging to that brahmin; it wouldn’t be nice if it got lost,” and he picked it up. Soon the brahmin remembered. He hurried back and asked that monk, “Sir, did you see my bag?” Saying, “I did indeed,” he gave it to him. The brahmin thought, “How can I avoid giving a reward to this monk?” And he said, “I didn’t have five hundred coins, I had a thousand!” And he seized hold of that monk.

Log in to earn 20 merit points for reading this page