“Sir, this is my doctrine and view: ‘Whoever goes on complaining about others without giving any reasons is reprehensible and at fault.’” “Upaka, if someone goes on complaining about others without giving a reason, they’re reprehensible and at fault. But that’s what you do, so you’re reprehensible and at fault!” “Sir, like a fish caught in a big trap just as it rises, so the Buddha caught me in a big trap of words just as I rose up.”
“Upaka, I’ve declared: ‘This is unskillful.’ And for that there are limitless words, phrasings, and teachings of the Realized One: ‘This is another way of saying that this is unskillful.’ I’ve declared: ‘The unskillful should be given up.’ And for that there are limitless words, phrasings, and teachings of the Realized One: ‘This is another way of saying that the unskillful should be given up.’
I’ve declared that: ‘This is skillful.’ And for that there are limitless words, phrasings, and teachings of the Realized One: ‘This is another way of saying that this is skillful.’ I’ve declared: ‘The skillful should be developed.’ And for that there are limitless words, phrasings, and teachings of the Realized One: ‘This is another way of saying that the skillful should be developed.’”
And then Upaka son of Maṇḍikā approved and agreed with what the Buddha said. He got up from his seat, bowed and respectfully circled the Buddha, keeping him on his right. Then he went up to King Ajātasattu of Magadha, son of the princess of Videha. He told the King of all they had discussed.