Numbered Discourses: Fours
ฉบับแปลอังกฤษ · Volume 21 · Page 271
เข้าสู่ระบบเพื่อคั่นหน้า

In the same way, a mendicant whose mind is rightly freed like this has achieved six consistent responses. Seeing a sight with their eyes, they’re neither happy nor sad, but remain equanimous, mindful and aware. Hearing a sound with their ears … Smelling an odor with their nose … Tasting a flavor with their tongue … Encountering a touch with their body … Knowing an idea with their mind, they’re neither happy nor sad, but remain equanimous, mindful and aware. Feeling the end of the body draw close, they understand: ‘I feel the end of the body draw close.’ Feeling the end of life draw close, they understand: ‘I feel the end of life draw close.’ They understand: ‘When my body breaks up and my life has come to an end, everything that’s felt, being no longer relished, will become cool right here.’”

When he said this, Vappa the Sakyan, the disciple of the Jains, said to the Buddha: “Sir, suppose there was a man who raised commercial horses for profit. But he never made any profit, and instead just got weary and frustrated. In the same way, I paid homage to those Jain fools for profit. But I never made any profit, and instead just got weary and frustrated. From this day forth, any confidence I had in those Jain fools I whisk away as in a strong wind, or glide away as down a swift stream. Excellent, sir! … From this day forth, may the Buddha remember me as a lay follower who has gone for refuge for life.”

Numbered Discourses 4.196 20. The Great Chapter With Sāḷha

At one time the Buddha was staying near Vesālī, at the Great Wood, in the hall with the peaked roof. Then Sāḷha and Abhaya the Licchavis went up to the Buddha, bowed, sat down to one side, and said to him:

หัวข้อ (สรุปโดย AI) AN 4.195: With Vappa
เข้าสู่ระบบเพื่อบันทึกความคืบหน้า
เข้าสู่ระบบเพื่อรับ ๒๐ แต้มบุญจากการอ่านหน้านี้