In another life, I must not have been jealous, envying, resenting, and begrudging the possessions, honor, respect, reverence, homage, and veneration given to others. For now I am illustrious. In this royal court I command maidens of the aristocrats, brahmins, and householders. So, sir, from this day forth I will not be irritable and bad-tempered. Even when heavily criticized I won’t lose my temper, become annoyed, hostile, and hard-hearted, or display annoyance, hate, and bitterness. I will give to ascetics or brahmins such things as food, drink, clothing, vehicles; garlands, fragrance, and makeup; and bed, house, and lighting. I will not be jealous, envying, resenting, and begrudging the possessions, honor, respect, reverence, homage, and veneration given to others. Excellent, sir! … From this day forth, may the Buddha remember me as a lay follower who has gone for refuge for life.”
Numbered Discourses 4.198 20. The Great Chapter Fervent Mortification of Oneself
“
Mendicants, these four individuals are found in the world. What four? One individual mortifies themselves, pursuing the practice of mortifying themselves. One individual mortifies others, pursuing the practice of mortifying others. One individual mortifies themselves and others, pursuing the practice of mortifying themselves and others. One individual neither mortifies themselves nor others, pursuing the practice of not mortifying themselves or others. They live without wishes in this very life, quenched, cooled, experiencing bliss, with self become divine.