“Wanderers, these four footprints of the Dhamma are primordial, long-standing, customary, and traditional. They are uncorrupted, as they have been since the beginning. They’re not being corrupted now nor will they be. Sensible ascetics and brahmins don’t look down on them. What four? Contentment … Good will … Right mindfulness … Right immersion … These four footprints of the Dhamma are primordial, long-standing, customary, and traditional. They are uncorrupted, as they have been since the beginning. They’re not being corrupted now nor will they be. Sensible ascetics and brahmins don’t look down on them.
Wanderers, if someone should say: ‘I’ll deny this Dhamma footprint of contentment, and describe a true ascetic or brahmin who covets sensual pleasures with acute lust.’ Then I’d say to them: ‘Let them come, speak, and discuss. We’ll see how powerful they are.’ It is quite impossible to deny this Dhamma footprint of contentment, and point out a true ascetic or brahmin who covets sensual pleasures with acute lust.
If someone should say: ‘I’ll deny this Dhamma footprint of good will, and describe a true ascetic or brahmin who has ill will and malicious intent.’ Then I’d say to them: ‘Let them come, speak, and discuss. We’ll see how powerful they are.’ It is quite impossible to deny this Dhamma footprint of good will, and point out a true ascetic or brahmin who has ill will and malicious intent.
If someone should say: ‘I’ll deny this Dhamma footprint of right mindfulness, and describe a true ascetic or brahmin who is unmindful, with no situational awareness.’ Then I’d say to them: ‘Let them come, speak, and discuss. We’ll see how powerful they are.’ It is quite impossible to deny this Dhamma footprint of right mindfulness, and point out a true ascetic or brahmin who is unmindful, with no situational awareness.