And to the bull elephant also this thought came to mind, “Formerly I lived crowded by other males, females, younglings, and cubs. I ate the grass they’d trampled, and they ate the broken branches I’d dragged down. I drank muddy water, and after my bath the female elephants bumped into me. Crowded, I lived in suffering and discomfort. But now I live uncrowded by other males, females, younglings, and cubs. I eat untrampled grass, and other elephants don’t eat the broken branches I have dragged down. I don’t drink muddy water, and the female elephants don’t bump into me after my bath. Being uncrowded, I live in happiness and comfort.”
Then, understanding his own seclusion and knowing that elephant’s train of thought, on that occasion the Buddha expressed this heartfelt sentiment:
“The giant elephant, with tusks like draft-poles, agrees heart to heart with the spiritual giant, since each finds joy in the woods alone.”
Heartfelt Sayings 4.6 The Alms-Gatherer
So I have heard. At one time the Buddha was staying near Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s monastery. Now at that time Venerable Bhāradvāja the Alms-Gatherer was sitting not far from the Buddha, cross-legged, with his body straight. He was one who lived in the wilderness, ate only almsfood, wore rag robes, and owned just three robes. He was of few wishes, content, secluded, aloof, and energetic, an advocate of austerities, dedicated to the higher mind.