So I have heard. At one time the Buddha was staying near Āḷavī, at Āḷavī’s premier shrine. Now at that time it was not long after Venerable Vaṅgīsa’s mentor, the senior monk named Nigrodhakappa, had become fully quenched. Then as Vaṅgīsa was in private retreat this thought came to his mind: “Has my mentor become quenched or not?” Then in the late afternoon, Venerable Vaṅgīsa came out of retreat and went to the Buddha. He bowed, sat down to one side, and said to him: “Just now, sir, as I was in private retreat this thought came to mind. ‘Has my mentor become quenched or not?’” Then Venerable Vaṅgīsa rose from his seat, arranged his robe over one shoulder, raised his cupped palms toward the Buddha, and addressed him in verse:
“I ask the Teacher unrivaled in wisdom, who has cut off all doubts in this very life: a monk has died at Āḷavī’s premier shrine, who was well-known, famous, and quenched.