At one time a monk claimed a superhuman quality to another monk, saying, “I conform to these qualities.” He became anxious … “You’ve committed an offense entailing expulsion.”
At one time the relatives of a certain monk said to him, “Come, sir, live at home.” “One like me is incapable of living at home.” He became anxious … “There’s no offense for one who doesn’t intend to make a claim.” At one time the relatives of a certain monk said to him, “Come, sir, enjoy worldly pleasures.” “The pleasures of the world have been rejected by me.” He became anxious … “There’s no offense for one who doesn’t intend to make a claim.” At one time the relatives of a certain monk said to him, “Come, sir, enjoy yourself.” “I’m enjoying myself with the highest enjoyment.” He became anxious, thinking, “Those who are true disciples of the Buddha may say that, but I’m no such disciple. Could it be that I’ve committed an offense entailing expulsion?” He told the Buddha. “What were you thinking, monk?” “I didn’t intend to make a claim, sir.” “There’s no offense for one who doesn’t intend to make a claim.”