Just then the nun Mettiyā came to them and said, “My respectful greetings to you, venerables.” But they did not respond. A second time and a third time she said the same thing, but they still did not respond. “Have I done something wrong? Why don’t you respond?” “It’s because we’ve been badly treated by Dabba the Mallian, and you’re not taking an interest.” “But what can I do?” “If you like, you could make the Buddha expel Dabba.” “And how can I do that?” “Go to the Buddha and say, ‘Sir, this isn’t proper or appropriate. There’s fear, distress, and oppression in this district, where none of these should exist. It’s windy where it should be calm. It’s as if water is burning. Venerable Dabba the Mallian has raped me.’” Saying, “Alright, venerables,” she went to the Buddha, bowed, and repeated what she had been told to say.
Soon afterwards the Buddha had the Sangha gathered and questioned Dabba: “Dabba, do you remember doing as the nun Mettiyā says?” “Sir, you know what I’m like.” A second and a third time the Buddha asked the same question and got the same response. He then said, “Dabba, the Dabbas don’t give such evasive answers. If it was done by you, say so; if it wasn’t, then say that.” “Since I was born, sir, I don’t recall having sexual intercourse even in a dream, let alone when awake.” The Buddha addressed the monks: “Well then, monks, expel the nun Mettiyā, and call these monks to account.” The Buddha then got up from his seat and entered his dwelling.