Dhaniya then went to King Bimbisāra’s house and sat down on the prepared seat. The king approached Dhaniya, bowed, sat down, and said, “Is it true, venerable, that I have given to you the timber held for repairs of the town and put aside in case of an emergency?” “Yes, great king.” “We kings are very busy—we may give and not remember. Please remind me.” “Do you remember, great king, when you were first anointed, speaking these words: ‘I give the grass, sticks, and water for the monastics and brahmins to enjoy’?” “I remember. There are monastics and brahmins who have a sense of conscience, who are afraid of wrongdoing and fond of the training. They are afraid of wrongdoing even in regard to small matters. When I spoke, I was referring to them, and it concerned what’s ownerless in the wilderness. Yet you imagine that you can take timber not given to you by means of this pretext? Even so, I cannot beat, imprison, or banish a monastic or brahmin living in my own kingdom. Go, you’re free because of your status, but don’t do such a thing again.”