When Sāriputta had stayed in the Southern Hills as long as he pleased, he set out for Rājagaha. Traveling stage by stage, he arrived at Rājagaha, where he stayed in the Bamboo Grove, the squirrels’ feeding ground.
Then he robed up in the morning and, taking his bowl and robe, entered Rājagaha for alms. Now at that time Dhanañjāni was having his cows milked in a cow-shed outside the city. Then Sāriputta wandered for alms in Rājagaha. After the meal, on his return from almsround, he approached Dhanañjāni. Seeing Sāriputta coming off in the distance, Dhanañjāni went to him and said, “Here, worthy Sāriputta, drink some fresh milk before the meal time.” “Enough, brahmin, I’ve finished eating for today. I shall be at the root of that tree there for the day’s meditation. Come see me there.” “Yes, worthy sir,” replied Dhanañjāni.
When Dhanañjāni had finished breakfast he went to Sāriputta and exchanged greetings with him. When the greetings and polite conversation were over, he sat down to one side. Sāriputta said to him, “I hope you’re diligent, Dhanañjāni?” “How can I possibly be diligent, worthy Sāriputta? I have to provide for my mother and father, my wives and children, and my bondservants and workers. And I have to make the proper offerings to friends and colleagues, relatives and kin, guests, ancestors, deities, and king. And then this body must also be fattened and built up.”