Then Kesi the horse trainer went up to the Buddha, bowed, and sat down to one side. The Buddha said to him, “Kesi, you’re known as a horse trainer. Just how do you guide a horse in training?” “Sir, I guide a horse in training sometimes gently, sometimes harshly, and sometimes both gently and harshly.” “Kesi, what do you do with a horse in training that doesn’t follow these forms of training?” “In that case, sir, I kill it. Why is that? So that I don’t disgrace my tutor’s community.
But sir, the Buddha is the supreme guide for those fit for training. Just how do you guide a person in training?” “Kesi, I guide a person in training sometimes gently, sometimes harshly, and sometimes both gently and harshly. The gentle way is this: ‘This is good conduct by way of body, speech, and mind. This is the result of good conduct by way of body, speech, and mind. This is life as a god. This is life as a human.’ The harsh way is this: ‘This is bad conduct by way of body, speech, and mind. This is the result of bad conduct by way of body, speech, and mind. This is life in hell. This is life as an animal. This is life as a ghost.’
The both gentle and harsh way is this: ‘This is good conduct … this is bad conduct …’”