Numbered Discourses: Fours
ฉบับแปลอังกฤษ · Volume 21 · Page 28
เข้าสู่ระบบเพื่อคั่นหน้า

That is what the divinity Sahampati said. Then he bowed and respectfully circled me, keeping me on his right side, before vanishing right there. Then, knowing the request of the Divinity and what was suitable for myself, I honored and respected and relied on the same teaching to which I was awakened. And since the Saṅgha has also achieved greatness, I also respect the Saṅgha.”

Numbered Discourses 4.22 3. At Uruvelā At Uruvelā (2nd)

“Mendicants, this one time, when I was first awakened, I was staying in Uruvelā at the goatherd’s banyan tree on the bank of the Nerañjarā River. Then several old brahmins—elderly and senior, who were advanced in years and had reached the final stage of life—came up to me, and exchanged greetings with me. When the greetings and polite conversation were over, they sat down to one side, and said to me: ‘Worthy Gotama, we have heard this: “The ascetic Gotama does not bow to old brahmins, elderly and senior, who are advanced in years and have reached the final stage of life; nor does he rise in their presence or offer them a seat.” And this is indeed the case, for the worthy Gotama does not bow to old brahmins, elderly and senior, who are advanced in years and have reached the final stage of life; nor does he rise in their presence or offer them a seat. This is not appropriate, worthy Gotama.’

Then it occurred to me, ‘These venerables don’t know what a senior is, or what qualities make you a senior.’ Mendicants, suppose you’re eighty, ninety, or a hundred years old. But your speech is untimely, false, meaningless, and against the teaching or training. You say things at the wrong time which are worthless, unreasonable, rambling, and unbeneficial. Then you’ll be reckoned a ‘childish senior’.

เข้าสู่ระบบเพื่อรับ ๒๐ แต้มบุญจากการอ่านหน้านี้