Numbered Discourses: Fours
ฉบับแปลอังกฤษ · Volume 21 · Page 50
เข้าสู่ระบบเพื่อคั่นหน้า

“Brahmin, if I had not given up defilements I might have become a god … a centaur … a spirit … or a human. But I have given up those defilements, cut them off at the root, made them like a palm stump, obliterated them so they are unable to arise in the future. Suppose there was a blue water lily, or a pink or white lotus. Though it sprouted and grew in the water, it would rise up above the water and stand with no water clinging to it. In the same way, though I was born and grew up in the world, I live having mastered the world, unsullied by the world. Remember me, brahmin, as a Buddha.

I could have been reborn as a god, or as a centaur flying through the sky. I could have become a spirit, or returned as a human. But I’ve ended those defilements, they’re blown away and mown down.

Like a graceful lotus, to which water does not cling, the world doesn’t cling to me, and so, brahmin, I am a Buddha.”

Numbered Discourses 4.37 4. Situations Non-decline

“Mendicants, a mendicant who possesses four qualities can’t decline, and has drawn near to extinguishment. What four? A mendicant is accomplished in ethics, guards the sense doors, eats in moderation, and is dedicated to wakefulness.

And how is a mendicant accomplished in ethics? It’s when a mendicant is ethical, restrained in the monastic code, conducting themselves well and resorting for alms in suitable places. Seeing danger in the slightest fault, they keep the rules they’ve undertaken. That’s how a mendicant is accomplished in ethics.

เข้าสู่ระบบเพื่อรับ ๒๐ แต้มบุญจากการอ่านหน้านี้