“As I was coming down from the Vulture Peak, I saw a nun … I saw a trainee nun … I saw a novice monk … I saw a novice nun flying through the air. Her outer robe was ablaze and burning, as were her bowl, belt, and body. She uttered cries of distress. And I thought how amazing and astonishing it is that such a being should exist, such a spirit, such a state of existence.” But the monks complained and criticized him, “He’s claiming a superhuman ability!” The Buddha then said to them: “There are disciples who have vision and knowledge, who can know, see, and witness such things. I too, monks, have seen that novice nun, but I didn’t speak about it. If I had, others wouldn’t have believed me, which would have led to their harm and suffering for a long time. During the time of Buddha Kassapa’s dispensation, she was a bad novice nun. As a result of her deeds, she was tormented in hell for many hundreds of thousands of years. And now, because of the remaining result of her actions, she’s experiencing such an existence. Moggallāna spoke truthfully. There’s no offense for Moggallāna.”